Thursday, July 9, 2009

Spicy Summer Slaw with Cilantro and Carrots

DSC_0176


I don't know about you, by my first experience with coleslaw was the bland, mushy, mayonnaise drenched slop ladled out at the deli counter of my local grocery store. And if you're like me, that means you are likely to write coleslaw off as yet another Processed Food That is Ruining America's Waistline.

I felt that way until I started making slaws myself, and heavens to Murgatroyd, Peneope! That stuff's amazing! In fact, that mushy deli swill (which has probably been there for days) can't even hold a candle to the glory that is a crisp, flavor jammed home made slaw. It just doesn't even compare. Why do people even buy the other stuff? And can we talk about just how good for you homemade slaw can be? Cabbage and carrots are packed with vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, and cancer fighting good stuff. You might as well put on a halo while you're eating it.

I've made a lot of slaw this summer, but this one is something special. It's got a little heat to it, but otherwise is crisp and cool, tangy, sweet, and crunchy. The cilantro and the cumin definitely give it a little kick. It's my favorite of the summer so far.

So try it already! It goes great with this barbecue pulled pork sandwich recipe, or the best grilled chicken ever, with big Bob's Gibson's White Barbecue Sauce.


Spicy Summer Slaw with Cilantro and Carrots

Hey internet, let's be lazy together. Have you got a food processor? It was born for this. It takes about 30 seconds to make this slaw if you have one. And oh, ok, it takes a whopping 5 minutes to do things the old fashioned way with a knife and a grater, but let's just be lazy together, shall we? It's summer.


Ingredients
1/2 a head green cabbage
4 large carrots
1 cup cilantro, rinsed and roughly chopped or snipped with kitchen scissors
1/2 cup safflower mayonnaise
(or regular mayonnaise)
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked pepper



1. Using a kitchen knife, remove stem from cabbage. Cut in half from top to bottom. Either cut into long, thin strips with the knife, or use the slicing attachment on your food processor to slice each chunck. Set aside in a large bowl.

2. Trim carrot tops (I leave the skin on, more nutritious, and it's not like you can tell the difference. Also, we're being lazy, remember? And peeling carrots... too much work). Grate using a box grater, or the grating attachment on your food processor. Add grated carrots to cabbage in large bowl. Add cilantro.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, honey, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and cracked pepper. Drizzle over cabbage mixture. Toss to coat. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. You should try this stuff with homemade garlic aioli. Oh My Gosh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I like the flavors here. I've been experimenting with different slaws. I love cumin and cilantro and just made an Indian-inspired version using them. But I like the idea of combining with the cayenne for a more Latin/California version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight with red cabbage and WOW. We loved it! I do suggest making it with less cayenne, though - we used half of it because we aren't really into spicy things, and it was still *almost* too spicy.

    I'm so glad you're doing this blog, Becks, you always make such good food and I want to try everything you post about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive been wanting to make garlic aioli! When I lived in England, we were addicted to it drizzled over "chips."

    Emily - I'm SO glad you enjoyed it! I am seriously having a bit of a summer slaw obsession this year. 1 teaspoon is pretty spicy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was Fantastic! Added some garlic and avocado to it. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete