Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Brown Sugar, Oats, and Blueberry Crisp - gluten free! (or not!)

DSC_0053



The June 2009 edition of Martha Stewart: Living had this irresistible spread of blueberry recipes. Honestly, it reduced me to wiping drool off the magazine pages, because the blueberry crisp just looked SO GOOD. It looked so good, I needed to make it. I HAD to make it. It was calling to me.

I don't know about you, but when recipes start calling my name, it's time to cook. I think this crisp would be a fantastic finish to a summer BBQ, especially when topped with a big scoop of double vanilla ice cream. Mmmm.


DSC_0081





Summer Blueberry Crisp - gluten free!

I adapted this recipe from the June 2009 Martha Stewart: Living, but I changed it so much it hardly resembles the original! I like this version better. Her crumble topping was... a little odd. It tasted a little... zingy. It was weird. We like this version MUCH better.

For the filling:
6 cups (3 pints) blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
juice of 1/2 a lemon

For the Crisp topping
1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1/3 cup flour (I like to use oat flour, but quinoa flour, rice flour, or plain ol' wheat flour all all good too!)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter, softened
pinch salt


Method


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place blueberries in a baking dish. Mix sugar and corn starch together, and sprinkle over berries. Add lemon juice, and mix to combine.

2. Mix oats, flour, and brown sugar together in a small bowl. Add butter, and mix to combine, until mixture is crumbly. Spread over blueberries.

3. Bake in preheated over for 1 hour, until blueberries are thickened and crumbles are golden brown. Let cool. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.

Wow! That was easy! Enjoy!


DSC_0089

27 comments:

  1. I'm SO making this for the 4th of July! I can't wait to try this. Thanks for doing the conversion from gluten-full to gluten-free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making this this week! I've been looking for recipes since I just got some more frozen blueberries. I used to use a crisp mix, but I can't find it anymore. Anyway, about the blueberries...our local farmer grows them organically, picks them ripe, and then freezes them. You can buy them in stores in oregon, or online. They're awesome- they taste better and are firmer than any other frozen blueberry I've had. They're called Sunset Valley Organics blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter has a significant wheat allergy. I will make this for her. Sounds really good. By the way - in Alaska we pick our own blueberries in the wild and freeze them the day they are picked. Even after one year they have that wonderful taste of being from the wild. Talk about organic and little to no cost! The only cost is the gas to drive to the best blueberry spot and enjoy a day of picking in the sun with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this with a few tweaks to the topping since I didn't have all the ingredients, and it is fantastic! Perhaps the best crisp topping I have ever had! I used Rice four (only gluten free flour I had) flax meal, cinnamon, and ground up almonds in addition to the oats, brown sugar and butter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many servings is this recipe for? It looks great, just wondering how many of these I need to make for 18 people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe is off. The dry mix isn't quite right. I love it but I have to tweak the dry mix everytime.

    ReplyDelete