Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ina Garten's Basil Green Goddess Dressing - The Best Salad Dressing EVER

DSC_0011



I have finally found a dressing that begs the question, can you BE in love with a salad dressing? Oh yes, you can. You know, this is not the first green goddess dressing I've ever had, but it is hands down THE best. Ever. Someday when I am old and gray, I will be able to look back at my life with satisfaction because I will, at last, have found the perfect salad dressing.

I'm not really one to go in for traditional salad. A salad made of lettuce and a few tomatoes? So boring. But that was before I had this salad. And this salad is different than your typical ho-hum, been there, done that salad for a couple of reasons. First, the lettuce: I have never had butterhead lettuce before (where have I been for the last 26 years?) and it totally rocks. I tend to really dislike lettuce, but, true to its name, this lettuce is mild and delicious, not bitter or bland at all. I loved it. Second, these were some of the most amazing tomatoes I have ever had. My aunt grew them in her backyard, and OH MY. A perfectly ripe tomato really is a thing of beauty. If you are not lucky enough to have an aunt like mine, I am sure your farmer's market has some lovely tomatoes this time of year.

DSC_0024


But the dressing. Oh. The dressing. It's marvelous. And don't stop with salad. This would be great on grilled chicken, as a dip for vegetables, tossed with red potatoes and chopped parsley as a potato salad - endless, endless possibilities. Please, please make this dressing. I mean, just talking about this salad is making me want it. In fact, be right back....

...Oh. so good. Yeah, I'm eating it right now. Why aren't you?

DSC_0008



Ina Garten's Basil Green Goddess Dressing Recipe
adapted from Barefoot Contessa At Home
Makes about 4 cups

Fun fact: Green goddess dressing was originally created at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco in the 1920's in honor of William Archer's hit play The Green Goddess. This recipe has been updated by Ina Garten, and I've changed it up a bit too. The original called for tarragon, but Ina is right on the money by using basil instead.

Ingredients
1 cup good mayonnaise, such as Hellman's or Best Foods
1 cup chopped green onions (scallions), white and green parts
1 cup chopped fresh basil, packed
juice of 2 lemons (about 1/4 cup)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 anchovy fillets, minced (don't skip! You won't taste the anchovies, but it definitely gives the dressing a fuller flavor)
1 cup sour cream


Place the mayonnaise, green onions, basil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and anchovies in a blender, and blend until smooth. Add sour cream, blending until just incorporated. Use immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy!

37 comments:

  1. I am sooooo making this today! Love Ina and LOVE her dressings :)

    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome. I think I'll try this tonight : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most beautiful salad! The dressing looks and sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New reader here -- this looks AMAZING. Thanks! I love Ina...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, quick question -- that's a LOT of basil, right? That's not just me...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. People always turn their noses on anchovies thinking they taste too fishy but I love their nutty flavor! This dressing looks SO yummy and I bet it tastes good on just about anything! I love Ina's simple recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica - yeah it is a LOT of basil! My grocery sells it in bunches for $1, and I used 2 (I bought a 3rd just in case, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it!). I shop at a grocery store that sources a lot of local produce, so it's really cheap. Not all grocery stores carry basil in this quantity, and often they charge WAY too much for it (like $3 for 1/4 cup!)You might want to check out your local farmer's market for it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those tomatoes look unreal, almost like they were conjured with a magic wand. At first I thought that was iceberg lettuce, but was relieved to discover that it's butter lettuce. So much better! And creamy dressing are my very favorite kind. Looks very, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! I am going to make it with an iceberg wedge tonight, with some pasta for the main course! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so this is like, pesto-mayo? right? without the pine-nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks yummy - going to see if I can entice my James to eat veggies if this is the dip (for some reason he loves dips...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Made this tonight and I loved it! My husband, JuJu, thinks it's great. High five from Reims, France.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello boys ...
    How wonderful that this blog post recipes that I love so rich. I find it really very important thanks for sharing. I love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recipe. I tweaked mine a little but still used just chives and basil.

    You can see the recipe on my URL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keeper. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy pooPOO I just made this and it is FANTASAMODO!!!!! I don't have an auntie with beautiful tomatoes, but luckily I myself have 'em! :) AND, the CSA box just arrived Friday with the most beautiful head of lettuce! Not butter; don't know what it is, but similar enough that I'm sure it'll be fabu. We are going to have it tonight with the RIBS that are in the oven right now and making us both drool on our chests! Thank you; great blog and wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! It is amazing to hear someone FOOD BLOGGING who sez they can't imagine WHAT TO DO with a left over wad of basil! I never...
    really!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the exact measurement, been looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ina I just love you. You have simple but fabulous recipes. This one is no exception. Thanks for bringing such great food to our home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have made this and it's absolutely delicious. One of my all-time favorite salad dressings, as well as a favorite of my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found your blog quite interesting and the concern in the blog is really impressive.

    IB Extended Essay format

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think this is just delicious and one of my favorite salad dressings. I've made it several times, per the recipe. Made it for a guest who thought it was incredible, so it isn't just me. Thanks to Ina for coming up with another winner.

    ReplyDelete