Monday, February 2, 2009

Lemon Curd Ebelskiver, or, Lemon Stuffed Pancakes

ebelskiver

Did I mention that the simple girl cooks? Oh yes, she does. Part of why I cook is because I like to. It's fun. But another part of why I cook is because people need to eat. I know I do. I'm hungry. ALL THE TIME. Like, three times a day. And sometimes, more often than that.

Lemon Curd

Oh yeah, and cooking makes my life simpler. No really, it does! Home cooking means you have control over what goes into your body. YOU. Not the bored teenager picking their nose as they slave over a crackling french fry bin. Not the corporate giants with their pre-packaged processed food-like edible substances. Not the snooty gourmet person serving ridiculously overpriced tastes of food. To be honest, we hardly eat out anymore. Every time we do, we think "we could have made this at home. And it would have tasted better. And it would have cost less."

So, here's what's cookin!

Ebelskivit, which is fancy for Stuffed Pancakes. With Lemon. MMMMMmmm.

You will need the following:

Ebelskiver Ingredients

Pancake Mix. I use Trader Joe's pancake mix. You can use whatever you want. Or you can be really fancy and make your pancakes from scratch. Whatever floats your boat.
Milk.
Oil.
Eggs.
Lemon Curd.
I made my own at Christmas. But you can buy yours from the store. I promise it will still taste as good.
Lemons.
Powdered Sugar.


That's all! Can you tell I shop at Trader Joe's? And they're not even paying me for the publicity. I just like them.

Oh. You will also need this:

Ebelskiver Pan

It's an Ebelskivit pan. I don't usually have pans that are JUST for one thing, but I like to think that this pan is useful for lots of things. Like lots of different kinds of ebelskevit. Also, I got it for Christmas, so I didn't buy it. Mine came from Williams & Sonoma, but I think you can also get them other places, like Bed Bath & Beyond. But if you don't have one, don't worry! You don't need to rush out and buy them. You can still make these in a flat pan and they will taste great. They just won't come out in fun little ball shapes.

First, preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Stick a cookie sheet in there. This is to keep your ebelskiver warm while you make the rest. Now mix up your pancake mix according to package direction. Actually, I never follow the package directions. But mix up some pancakes however you like them.

Now Heat up your pan. I heat mine on medium high, but I'm impatient. Put 1 spoonful of batter in each cup. Top with a little dollop of lemon curd, like this:

Ebelskiver



Repeat, until you have a whole pan full, like this:

Ebelskiver

Now top them off with another spoonful of batter. Mmmm. Now for the fun part. Once they look done around the edges, take two tooth-picks, or skewers, or forks, or whatever you have, and quickly flip them over.

Ebelskiver



They are done, when they are done. That is, the batter is cooked all the way through. Everyone knows when pancakes are done though. Pop they out of their little cups and put them on the cookie sheet in the oven. Repeat until you have used up all the batter.

Now for the glaze. THE GLAZE, you say? Of course! What's a pancake without syrup? Take a lemon. Cut it in half. Squeeze the juice out of it. This should equal 2-3 tbs.

lemon

Now add 1 cup of powdered sugar to it. Mmm. Whisk well.

lemon glaze



Remove ebelskivers from the oven. Turn the oven off. Its job is done. Arrange tastefully on a serving plate. Or not. It's up to you. Brush generously with lemon glaze. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

ebelskiver



Enjoy!

I know I did.

Empty Pate

4 comments:

  1. Those look amazing! I love lemon curd... mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becks!

    I just found you from Smitten and was wondering if you'd mind sharing (or directing me to) the almond flour tart crust you commented on at SK. I also cannot eat the wheat, and the almond crust sounds quite yum.

    Also, I have posted a review for a filled-pancake pan that you can read at stuffcookswant

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! I prefer Pamela's pancake mix to Trader Joe's but I have to admit, you made the latter look pretty good. With all that yumminess, I bet it is delicious.

    -Sea

    PS Luckily i can use my takoyaki maker for this, wheee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never used Pamela's mix - I think I'll give it a try though. I don't really like rice flour all that much (it's so grainy!), which is, like, the #1 ingredient in the TJ's mix. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete