Thursday, August 6, 2009

Peach Crisp with Blueberries and Oats • Gluten free! (Or not)

DSC_0181




Internet, I'm tired. TIRED. Oh my, so tired. I'm so beat I can't even think of anything clever to say about this particular dessert, except that IT IS SO GOOD. So good, we made it four times this month. Four times! And we didn't even get a picture until the fourth time because, um, it was a little too delicious. We kinda ate it all up before we could take any pictures. And then we would look at each other and say, oh, what a shame! I guess we will have to make this gosh darn delicious crisp again. Well, I guess we can suffer through the deliciousness again. You know, for the sake of the blog. And humanity. Because humanity needs us to share this recipe with the internet. Right, that's why we made it four times. For the sake of humanity. Right. It had nothing to do whatsoever with how much I love this crisp. It was, like, totally selfless. And I did it for you, internet community. I did it for YOU. Oh, what's that? Just me giving myself a pat on the back.

Aaaanyway.



DSC_0161




Why am I so tired? Well, last weekend I catered my mom's 50th birthday party. All I can say about that is, holy smokes! There were a lot of coconut shrimp. COCONUT SHRIMP. It was one hec of a party. And the week before that we hosted a baby shower barbecue. And somewhere between here and there, I had this demanding wiggling baby to take of, this little 15 lb person who hollers at the top of his lungs all day long if I don't come pick him up the second the thought comes into his head that he might like mommy's attention. Which is about every 5 seconds. And that, by the way, is also why I haven't been blogging much this week. Because of the coconut shrimp. And the demanding baby. they've really worn me out. In fact, I think I'll go take a nap now.

Goodbye. FOREVER.


DSC_0158



Oh, ok, not yet. Because I almost forgot, we need to talk about this delicious peach crisp. This delicious peach crisp with blueberries. This delicious peach crisp with blueberries and oats and lots of other deliciousness, like cinnamon, and masa. You wouldn't think all those go together, but oh, they do. They really, really do. This crisp is a delicious mess. Oh, I change my mind. I'm not going to talk about this crisp. I'm too tired. How about I just show you some pictures and tell you it's amazing? Here are some pictures! This dessert is amazing! Ok, now go make it.


Love forever, Becks.


DSC_0171




Peach Crisp with Blueberries and Oats • gluten free! Or not.

This crisp calls for a special kind of flour: masa. Masa is a type of flour popular in Latin America. It's a corn flour used for tortillas and chips and tamales and other delicious things, and it's quite tasty. In fact, it's my new favorite flour! It has a warm sunny flavor and it works amazingly well with the peaches and the blueberries and the oats. And it's so inexpensive. Please go buy some. It's so good. Of course, if you don't feel like buying masa, of if you can't find it, and if gluten is not a concern, then by all means feel free to use all purpose flour. I promise I won't tell.

Also, this crisp is very easy to make vegan, if you are into that. I have a friend who is literally allergic to EVERYTHING, including casein (the protein in milk) so I used Earth Balance for one of the crisps, and it still came out yummy (thought I do have to say, a bit less crisp and ...uh... buttery. I will always love butter better, but that's because butter will always be my lover. I'm German. I can't help it. Butter runs in my veins.)

Finally, I was reading about this fancy pants way to peel peaches by briefly dipping them in boiling water and then dipping them in ice water. While you definitely should peel the peaches (I made one with unpeeled peaches, and we didn't like it) I'm just a little too lazy for all that, so I peel the peaches with a knife. Also, use yellow peaches. We tried with with white peaches, and we didn't like it as much.


For the Filling
6-8 yellow peaches, pitted, peeled, and sliced
1 cup blueberries (about 6 ounces)
1 lemon, zested and juice squeezed
1/2 cup white sugar

For the Topping
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup masa corn flour
1/2 cup backed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)




DSC_0002
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pit, peel, and slice 6-8 medium yellow peaches. Place in baking dish.




DSC_0008_2
Add 1 cup blueberries.




DSC_0012_2
Add zest of 1 lemon and the juice of 1 lemon.




DSC_0020_2
Add 1/2 cup white sugar, and toss to combine all ingredients.




DSC_0024
In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups oats...




DSC_0025
... with 1/2 cup packed brown sugar...




DSC_0027
... and 1/2 cup masa corn flour.




DSC_0030
Top with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 pinch salt.




DSC_0031
Now mix it all up...




DSC_0032
... and add 1/2 cup melted butter. Mix well, until large crumbs form.




DSC_0034
Pat onto filling, and bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. let cool.




DSC_0165
Serve up a scoop, top with icecream. It's a delicious mess. Enjoy!




DSC_0176
Uhhh... until you run out that is. Guess you'll just have to make it again!

7 comments:

  1. I would happily eat this for dessert, then breakfast. Then for dessert again. Can't seem to get enough peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This totally caught my eye on Tastespotting. Love the color and flavor combo of the peachs and BLUEberries. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Making right now for the first time. Was looking for a more healthy alternative (and gluten free) of a Peach Cobbler to make my kids. Did substitute Agave Nectar for th sugar though. Can't wait to taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this last night, used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free baking flour instead of masa flour and it turned out lovely. I also double the topping mixture because it's my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this for my boyfriend last night, i was looking for gluten-free recipes - we had it for dessert and breakfast, thank you for the beautiful pictures, those helped too!

    ReplyDelete