Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sundried Tomatoes - in the oven!

DSC_0001
DSC_0036


Dear Internet,

I'm sorry I haven't written. I still love you. It's just that I have been very busy with PROJECT TUDOR WEDDING GOWN 2009, and it's kept me, well, busy. Please accept this sun-dried tomato recipe (IN! THE! OVEN!) as sort of, um, an "I'm sorry" present. What, exactly is PROJECT TUDOR WEDDING GOWN 2009? Well... You may or may not remember that my real job, the one that pays actual money (as opposed to my "mom" job, which definitely does not) is a dressmaking business. Specifically, I make period attire for weddings, reenactments, balls and masquerades, etc. It's a fantastic job where I get to be creative, work flexible hours, and most importantly (to me anyways) I get to stay home with Little Lord Thunder Thighs.


DSC_0129


I think it's bad luck to talk about a gown before it's finished, so I'm just going to keep the actual gown under wraps until it's done. All I can say it, it's going to be FABU-FRICKIN-LOUS. I can, however, show you my "practice" gown I made in a different fabric and size. I had never made this specific period, so I wanted to practice before I made the real thing. This gown, by the way, is for sale on Ebay RIGHT NOW! BUY BUY BUY! Just kidding. Kinda.

DSC_0152


So, anyway. Internet, let's get together next week when I'm done with this whole PROJECT WEDDING GOWN 2009 business. Let's have brunch. In the meanwhile, please accept this offering of sundried tomatoes: IN! THE! OVEN! Good times.

love forever,

Becks.

DSC_0012


Sundried tomatoes - In! The! Oven!

Every summer, I vow to make hundreds and hundreds of these and pack them in olive oil, and then invariably I only make one pan, and I eat them all up in one day like candy. Because that's exactly what they are: TOMATO CANDY!

Ingredients
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, or other type of tomato actually, but cherry tomatoes are the best IMHO
- that's it.


DSC_0019
Preheat oven to 200 degrees, or whatever the lowest setting is. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise. Arrange, cut side up on a baking sheet.


DSC_0024
Bake in 200 degree oven until withered and gummy, but not crunchy, rotating every hour or so and letting some of the heat out of the oven. Takes anywhere from 2 hours to more, depending on the size of the tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes take about 2 hours. enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful tomatoes and beautiful dress! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Yum, and YUM!

    That dress is downright gorgeous and how cute is Little Lord Thunder Thighs!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH! I'm so excited about sun-dried tomatoes! They are so expensive in the store, and are INVARIABLY packed in oil, which is not exactly weight watcher friendly. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making your own sundried tomatoes in the oven is so fun and the results are always awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. while the cherry sundried tomatoes are cute, your Little Lord Thunder Thighs is way cuter! I feel like giving him a hug right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad I just found your blog because I LOVE sun dried tomatoes. I definitely want to try making my own. Also, your pictures are so beautiful and vibrant!

    How would you store them and how long is their shelf life?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I don't actually know how long they keep, because I have never had any around long enough to see!

    I do know that they are often canned in canning jars, packed in olive oil. I imagine that stored that way, they would probably last for up to a year. If canning isn't your thing, a second option would be to pack them in olive oil (to guard against moisture) and freeze them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DID THE OVEN-DRIED TOMATOES INFLUENCE YOUR CHOICE OF RED FOR THE PRACTICE DRESS OR VICE-VERSA? LOL Either way, both look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And the baby is a little Hot Tomato hisself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Use plum (Roma type) tomatoes if you can; they have far fewer seeds and much less juice and are made for this purpose. I have made these for years; first in a couple of electric dryers, and now almost always in the oven at low temperature.

    Take out the seeds. If you like, you can sprinkle with a little salt, sugar and perhaps thyme and garlic powder. Put them in with skin side down.I dry them until they are still soft and flexible, but rubbery. Let them cool. I put them in plastic bags (like Zip Loc and FREEZE them.

    Works like a charm

    ReplyDelete