Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Easy Peasy Blender Hollandaise Sauce with Tangerines and Lemon

DSC_0044



I'm going to tease you with eggs benedict but not give you a recipe until tomorrow. Aren't I mean? I'm so mean. Watch me being so mean. Can I console you a hollandaise sauce recipe? Because you have to make hollandaise if you are going to make eggs benedict, right? See, there's a purpose to the meanness.

Hollandaise sauce makes me so happy. So lemony, so buttery, so velvety drizzled over asparagus or poached eggs. It's just, you know, such a hassle to make. And sometimes, it doesn't come out and it curdles. And it doesn't keep well, so you have to eat ALL of it or else throw it away. It's kind of a bummer.

DSC_0048


Luckily we can have it when we have brunch at a fancy restaurant, right? WRONG. Honestly, you should never eat restaurant hollandaise sauce. Ever, ever. Just, go read Kitchen Confidential and you'll understand. Mmm. Bacteria soup. So healthful. (Sarcasm friends, in case you weren't sure).

All of that conspires together to mean that I only ever enjoy hollandaise sauce about once a year.

Until now.

This particular recipe is easy peasy. Seriously! All you need is a whisk and a blender. I have never made an easier hollandaise sauce, and it keeps like a dream. You know what that means? I CAN HAVE IT EVERY SINGLE DAY. Um, until it runs out I guess. But I have a container of it in my fridge right now, ready to be drizzled over my next poached egg on hot buttered toast (hallelujah!).

You better believe I am going to enjoy it.




Easy Peasy Hollandaise Sauce with Tangerines and Lemon
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living


Ingredients
5 tbs tangerine juice
(from fresh, ripe tangerines, if possible.)
3 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs water
5 large eggs
1/4 tsp white wine vinegar (or other white vinegar)
salt
1.5 cups butter (3 sticks, or 3/4 lb), just melted

Stuff you Need
A wisk
a small sauce pan
a blender



Method


DSC_0122
Take your 5 teaspoons of tangerine juice



DSC_0127
And your 2 tablespoons of lemon juice Combine 5 tablespoons tangerine juice with 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a small bowl.



DSC_0128
Got your five eggs? Separate the yolks from the whites. I do this by straining them through my fingers. But do it however you like. And save those whites for an omelet or something. No need to be wasteful.



DSC_0139
Combine five egg yolks in a small saucepan with 2 tablespoons of water. Whisk constantly over VERY LOW HEAT (the lowest your burners will go), until yolks are frothy, and just starting to thicken. Remove from heat, and add 1/2 of the tangerine-lemon juice mixture to stop the cooking. Continue to whisk constantly.



DSC_0141
Put the mixture into your blender, and add remaining juice mixture, 1/4 teaspoon vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Puree.



DSC_0156
Reduce blender speed to low. In a slow stream, add three sticks of melted butter. If necessary, add butter in batches, pureeing on low between batches.



DSC_0005
Drizzle over something yummy.



DSC_0041
And look how well it stores! Still liquid and drizzleable, even when cold! See, I'm not really mean. I am so nice to you. You may now shower me with appreciation.


enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. OMG! That first pic looks so good! Are those GF English muffins?? Where? Who?

    The sauce looks great, especially on the asparagus and salmon, but not sure I can do the 3 sticks of butter since I would likely be the only one eating it. Maybe I would share...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much butter is 3 sticks?? This measure isn't used outside of America!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My apologies! In America butter usually comes in 1/2 cup sticks, or 1/4 lb sticks. 3 sticks is 1.5 cups, or 3/4 lb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, 3 sticks of butter is a LOT of butter. We had it for Mother's Day, so it wasn't too terribly inconvenient. We had a lot of people to spread it around. I think the recipe could be conveniently halved. But that's also why I am so excited that this sauce stores so well. You don't have to eat it all in one sitting! :) I am wondering if it can be frozen, in which case it could be kept for a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tangerine Hollandaise? Is it sweet? Looks so good and low carb to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After two failed attempts using 2 different recipes, I came across this one, really easy, and REAL good!

    ReplyDelete