Thursday, May 21, 2009

Fresh Strawberry Fool with Ruby Port Wine

DSC_0038
DSC_0002



My goodness, is it still strawberry season? It feels like it's been strawberry season for ever. You think I'd be bored of strawberries by now... but... well, I'm not. Call me crazy, but this week I sort of, well, splurged. I bought 8 lbs of strawberries. But they were only $1 a pound! The temptation was too hard to resist. I know. I'm so weak.

The thing is, I'm having a hard time coming up with creative ideas for what to do with all these strawberries. I already made jam. Got any other suggestions? (But please. Don't suggest I eat them plain. I've already eaten 4 lbs that way.)

Ok, I lied. I'm a big fat liar. I did come up with this. It's a strawberry fool. And as Nate, His Pickyness said, "wow. this is pretty good!" See? if His Pickyness likes it, you will too. It's practically a law of physics.

A fool, by the way, is a fruit puree folded into whipped cream, usually accompanied by some kind of liquor. (A fool is also something else that is fun to joke about, but I'm not going to start dragging out the ol' Shakespeare references today). It's great for summer... because you don't have to turn on your oven. Or your stove. And no fancy-pants equipment or ingredients required! Well, except for the port. But I don't think buying a bottle of port is especially punishing. Poor me, what will I ever do with the rest of this bottle of delicious port? It's going to be some hard labor finishing it off, I tell you. (sarcasm? yes). On the other hand, if you just decided to skip the port, this would still be amazing. I'm really humble about my recipes, can you tell?


DSC_0059



But seriously, this recipe is simplicity at it's finest, and also? Will totally knock your socks off. Or your guests' socks. They will be wondering how many hours over a hot stove you labored to make this beauty, and also, where are their socks? (I know, that was awful. Let's just get to the recipe, shall we?).

Oh, and also? If you have any suggestions for using up the rest of these strawberries, I am all ears. Please. Save me from these 4 lbs of strawberries.


DSC_0030





Fresh Strawberry Fool with Ruby Port Wine

ingredients
2.5 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon ruby port wine



DSC_0050
Whip 1 cup whipping cream in a stand mixer. When cream begins to form soft peaks, add 1/4 cup sugar. Whip on high until stiff peaks form. Don't overwhip - you'll make butter. (true fact).



DSC_0021
Place 2.5 cups strawberries in a blender.



DSC_0033
Add 1/4 cup sugar



DSC_0002
Puree until just smooth. It's ok if there are a few small lumps. They are tasty, tasty lumps.



DSC_0012
Add 2 cups strawberry puree to whipped cream. (reserve 1/2 cup strawberry puree for later).



DSC_0059
Add 1 tablespoon ruby port wine to whipped cream and strawberries.



DSC_0013
Fold strawberry puree, ruby port, and whipped cream gently together.



DSC_0039
layer whipped cream mixture together with reserved strawberry puree. Swirl it around to look really artsy and impressive.


enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I'll be trying this very soon! Looks yummy! When I make whipped cream at home it's even better with powdered sugar!

    Freeze some of those berries. I do chocolate covered strawberries a lot in the summer. It's a great hostess gift too if you put 'em in a cute container. We dehydrate some of our berries too. Good for hiking and snacks.

    I'm also going to try to make some jam for freezing too. OR even the strawberry syrup for pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted a recipe for Strawberry Ice Box Cake: http://letablierrose.blogspot.com/2009/05/strwaberry-ice-box-cake.html

    The only thing is that it calls for vanilla wafers, which are not gluten free (though I did see some recipes online for making your own gluten free ones). Maybe nuts could be used?

    I didn't know a fool was so simple. I'll have to try one sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom makes an AMAZING strawberry chiffon pie that is probably my most favorite dessert EVER. So fresh and summery and delicious and did I mention it's amazing?

    Your fool looks tasty!

    I love making strawberry smoothies. Throw in some kale or spinach - you won't even taste it as long as you put in some banana for sweetness, but it's good for you. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you haven't already seen it, I thought you might like this:

    http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/julieandjulia/

    That strawberry fool looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude.. I'm hungry now.

    Came over to answer your question on my blog.

    It's too late to send stuff to take on Friday, but if you want to send stuff, I'll be making another trip up with more stuff at a later date. Several people are sending things late.

    shoot me an email:
    triciajoy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. freeze some strawberries. fill half the blender with frozen strawberries, and a banana. add some yogurt, and fill the blender 3/4 the height of the fruit, and blend. makes delicous and extremely healthy smoothies. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was supposed to say fill the blender 3/4 the height of the fruit with OJ. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to enjoy strawberries on a warm Summer day! I like the use of the port.

    ReplyDelete