Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ina Garten's Mustard Roasted Potatoes

DSC_0321


If you can believe it, I have had this recipe on my list of things to cook for almost three years, and I only just now got around to trying it. This is so sad, because these potatoes are UH-MAY-ZING. I have cooked many a so-so dish over the past three years, and I really wish I had made these instead, because they are hands down some of the delicious, flavorful potatoes I have ever had. I want to run away with them and get married and live happily ever after, I love them so. Is that enthusiastic enough of an endorsement? Are you convinced? Maybe you need a man to tell you what's what. If that's the case, here's Nate's opinion:

"The mustard seeds lent an lighter yet deeper flavor. It made them different than just...mustard, but, much more interesting. They needed to be cooked longer. They were good. I don't know. Do you want your wine? What, are my comments not enough? It's what I got right now. Oh, wait, you should tell them those spots on the potatoes are mustard seeds. I saw them and I was like, what the heck is this on my potatoes? You should definitely tell them that."


There you go. Lighter yet deeper flavor people. And also, they were good. He's a real Don Draper, that one, am I right?? ;)

We thought these were spectacular with steak, and I think it helps to use a really high quality mustard. Definitely making again!





Ina Garten's Mustard Roasted Potatoes
adapted from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics

Nate's "they needed to be cooked longer" comment was due to the fact that I pulled the potatoes out early so he could eat them WITH HIS STEAK before he left for his book club. His life is so hard, isn't it?

Ingredients
2.5 lbs small flavorful potatoes, such as red or Yukon Gold
1 onion (white or yellow)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
kosher salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Scrub and dry potatoes, slice into wedges, and place on a rimmed baking sheet or in a baking dish.

2. In a small bowl, stir together olive oil, whole grain mustard, salt, pepper, and parsley. Pour over potatoes, and toss to coat. Bake in preheated oven 30 - 40 minutes, until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork, and are crisp around the edges. Remove from oven, let cool slightly, and enjoy!



9 comments:

  1. Bestselling cookbooks by Ina Garten have consistently provided accessible, subtly sophisticated recipes ranging from French classics made easy to cook delicious, simple home. In Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics, Ina truly breaks down her ideas on flavor, examining the ingredients and techniques that are based on its simple and elegant style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When does the onion come into play? I see it in the ingredients, but not the directions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mix the sliced Onion and potatoe together on the baking sheet and then pour the sauce mixture over the potatoe and onion, mix it around, then bake it, I also noticed that the onion got left out, this is one of my all time Barefoot recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Ina's cookbook and absolutely love this recipe from it! So good! I haven't made the potatoes in awhile so thanks for the reminder! I will probably make them today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great information i found in this blog. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, superb blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading it. I need to read more on this topic...I admiring time and effort you put in your blog, because it is obviously one great place where I can find lot of useful info..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again – taking you feeds also, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was really excited to go over every lines of your review. Superb work! Can't wait to read more of your blogs. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete