Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Toasted Coconut Popsicles ~ A Mexican Paleta by La Newyorkina

Coconut Popsicle 2
pops 9
Coconut pops 2


I'm posting this popsicle recipe first by request, because, as my friend Kathy puts it, "this popsicle is changing my life." It's that delicious! In fact, it's one of the most popular pops flavors at La Newyorkina, and I can see why: it's decadently rich and creamy, but the toasted coconut brings it to a whole new level with it's nutty crunch. It's the perfect icy summer treat! If you like coconut, you will love this.


Coconut Pops





Toasted Coconut Popsicles ~ A Mexican Paleta by La Newyorkina
from Paletas, by Fany Gerson

1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 can (140z) coconut milk
3/4 cup half & half
1 can (13.5oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread shredded coconut in a thin layer on a rimmed cookie sheet. Toast 10-15 minutes, stirring often to ensure even browning and no burning. Remove from oven, and let cool to room temperature.

2. In a blender, combine coconut milk, half & half, sweetened condensed milk, salt, and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth, then stir in the toasted coconut by hand. Pour into molds, and freeze 5+ hours until firm. I store mine wrapped in an airtight container in the freezer, wrapping each pop in a piece of parchment paper to keep them from sticking together.





6 comments:

  1. These look incredible! I love that you chose Popsicles to experiment with! Al and I have been talking about getting Popsicle molds...I just haven't made it happen! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! I'm rummaging through my pantry to see how many of those ingredients I have on hand so I can make some *now*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any suggestions on how to keep the texture of the popsicle itself from getting "icy" or to stay smooth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious! What's half and half? I am not a cook but I am trying for my two boys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG....my mouth is watering just at the sight of that. As coconut is one of my favorites, I am sure this popsicle would be orgasmic for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. delish! I didn't have coconut milk, but used pineapple / coconut juice and added 3 cups diced peaches ! yummy

    ReplyDelete